Registering for your wedding can be one of the most exciting tasks for some brides... but also one of the most daunting for others. Couples these days are innundated with endless options, so here are some helpful tips to consider as you register:
1. Assess you lifestyle and determine what fits you. Do you really need the fancy china? Or perhaps you frequently entertain so you do need the nice china and the sterling silver. It's all about what works for you personal lifetstyle.
2. Determine your “NEED” vs. “WANT” items and then add all the items you “need” to your registry first. That way, as the important stuff gets purchased, add the fun items that you “want” so you get the best of both worlds!
3. Consider registering for a few extra sets of dishes, silverware, glassware in case they get broken or lost over time. If certain lines get discontinued, you'll have a few extras on hand.
4. Don’t register TOO early - 5 – 6 months is perfect! Stores often change their inventory seasonally and those linens you absolutely loved may not be there come time for your wedding.
5. Choose at least 2 – 3 stores, ideally ones with an internet presence so that you can set up and manage everything from the comfort of your couch.
6. Keep your guests in mind; are they older and more traditional? Then they may appreciate Bloomingdales. Or are they mostly younger and comfortable with less conventional stores such as Amazon.com?
7. Choose some “Couple friendly” stores where you can get appliances, tools, exercise equipment, luggage, etc., and avoid squabbles! Sears or Kohl's are great registry options that offer everything for your home, including man-friendly items.
8. Research, research, research. Know the store’s registry reputation before making your choice…their customer service, reliability of their online registry site, return policy, completion policy, etc. These days, you can easily find all this information online ahead of time.
9. Along the same lines, make sure the stores you choose have a great return policy because there is no doubt you will change your mind about some items!
10. Consider alternative registries such as gift card, honeymoon, and charity registries.
Where are you registering, and do you have a favorite store?